Small dogs and cats are allowed aboard Amtrak trains that stop in North Carolina for trips up to seven hours.
- Reservations are $25, available on a first-come first-served basis and are limited to five pets (excluding service animals) per train.
- Pets must be at least 8 weeks old, be odorless, harmless, not disruptive and require no attention during travel.
- Pets are only allowed in Coach Class and cannot be shipped or checked as baggage.
- Owners must provide a pet carrier that, with the pet inside, weighs no more than 20 pounds. (Carriers count as one piece of carry-on baggage.)
- Pets must remain inside their carrier at all times while at a station or on the train.
Further restrictions apply. Amtrak's full pet policy is available at its website.